- Oil & Gas
- Calgary, Alberta
- CAD 110,000 to CAD 120,000 + Stock Options
- JOB-5275 CBOL
The appointed Corporate Controller will lead our client’s accounting team, which is expected to grow significantly in the next 6-12 months – A period of aggressive growth that this position will play a key role in shaping.
Reporting to the CFO, the primary focus of the role will be the coordination of accounting staff to deliver prompt and accurate financial results, with key responsibilities being to:
- Lead and drive the monthly financial close process by ensuring accurate and timely reporting.
- Manage and mentor staff.
- Oversee A/P, Treasury, Joint Venture, Production and Financial Accounting processes.
- Review Lease Operating Statements and trial balance with business owners to ensure completeness and accuracy.
- Ensure that company procedures conform to International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and are prepared for filing on both SEDAR (OSC) and EDGAR (SEC).
- Play a key part in developing and rolling out new accounting policies as well as application of current policies throughout the organization.
- Prepare quarterly and annual financial statements and notes for auditors and regulatory filings.
- Support the quarterly and annual management discussion and analysis (MD&A).
- Provide advice and guidance on all technical accounting matters and preparation of assessments for new guidance.
- Execute internal controls concerning financial policies, processes, and procedures.
- Support new systems or project selections and implementation from strategic finance and internal control perspective.
- Prepare and file monthly GST and PST returns.
- Collaborate with external tax firms to manage income tax filings.
Applicants will be expected to demonstrate:
- A minimum university degree in business or accounting.
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation (or mid accreditation process)
- At least eight years’ professional accounting experience, including public practice.
- Strong IFRS technical accounting skills as evidenced by excellent research and documentation skills supporting accounting positions, including derivatives, convertible debt, stock-based compensation, and business combinations.
- Ability to organize and prioritize job duties and consistently meet deadlines.
- Good initiative and self-motivation to work well under pressure with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency in Microsoft 365 (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and accounting applications (QuickBooks, NetSuite).
- Excellent attention to detail and strong analytical skills.
- Ability to work with others in a team environment.
- Flexibility to undertake a variety of assignments.
- Experience assisting in the preparation of financial reporting, including consolidated financial statements and management discussion and analysis (MD&A)
- Ability to question existing processes, think strategically and objectively, act quickly and get involved at all levels.
Primarily focused on optimizing hydrocarbon recovery through environmentally safe and efficient development and production practices, our client has restructured to become a low-cost producer, operating in compliance with regulatory and environmental standards. The company is working towards the growth of sustainable operations through productive relationships with landowners, business partners, employees, regulators, and the public.